Durango is a big river town. The Animas River flows through the heart of the town and it seems as if almost everyone around here owns a raft (or two), a kayak, an inner tube or a paddle board. There's nothing better than a nighttime float with your friends and a pitcher (or four) of margaritas. Our stretch of the Animas is at times a semi-big river but more often than not, pretty mild and chill. My kids have been on it multiple times and I've felt very secure in their safety.
This summer however has been a different story. The flow has been crazy high and that has accounted for a lot of flipped rafts and overboard tourists. So when Animas River Days rolled around this weekend, I knew there would be some interesting sights to behold as drunken idiots tried to navigate the raging river. I was a solo parent for this outing so please forgive the fact that I didn't get any pictures of the truly outrageous rafts. There were double and triple stacked rafts (with people riding on the top raft) hooked together, two and three across. Crazy!!! Although we did witness a few people being tossed overboard, I didn't hear any stories of serious injury.
 |
| bennett's bird's eye view | | |
|
|
 |
| the little boy in the front of this wooden boat was frantically trying to get water out of the boat with a little bucket |
 |
| beautiful pregnant ladies: sarah & abbi |
 |
| dave & dante |
 |
| drunk dudes about to bite it...i think one of them got tossed in the next rapid |
 |
| it was wild to see so many boats on the water at one time |
Come visit us! We'll take you on a fun filled afternoon float. When the river's not quite so high :)
No comments:
Post a Comment