Sunday, August 5, 2012

Ruby Horsethief Float

On a good year we get in at least two or three overnight float trips.  This year we had one.

Unless you count that multiday Grand Canyon trip that's coming up in September...

But let me tell you, this one was a good one.  I took a six day float down Desolation Canyon when I was five months pregnant with Bennett.  That was like six-ish years ago.  And this float was my favorite float since before that float.  (Because I was pregnant...and sober...and I had to poop in a box for six days...'nuf said).

We went with our good friends, The Erwins & The Lokeys.  Good peoples!

our sunshade blew away, that's a good omen, right?

nothing like swimming around in milky brown water, yum!

such a typical callie mae look followed by a very high pitched, "you ok mama? that's ok!"


We had a beautiful sunset the first night.


And the kids learned how to do the dishes.  
Really, can this night get any more magical?


 Bennett and his BFF, Kai, being muscle men!



Every good camp needs a good camp fire.  The fire ban had been lifted the day before we launched.  Sweeeeettttt!


my boys

I love it when someone else cooks my breakfast.  It's so very very rare.  Like a unicorn.  Or Big Foot.




And the kids did the breakfast dishes.

Are you beginning to see why I enjoyed this float so much?



Jen Lokey and her six-pack, row'n some oars.


the lokey boys

love this picture of bz, he looks like a little kid

apparently I'm rowing all of the flat water in the grand canyon so bz can fish.  so i started to practice.



Love the Daddy & Callie series...




All sorts of crazy wild life were found.  And played with for hours.  Poor poor little frog.  He never will be the same.

ahhh, a moment of pure bliss


dan is known for his patriotic nature, yeah really....

i got lots of time in the river to float around


Every float has to have a theme night.  And this trip was a day or two after the Olymics.  Or maybe towards the end of them.  I don't remember because I'm writing this like four weeks after the actual float and then I'm going to back date it so it looks like I did it on time.

Anywho, the theme of our float was...The Olympics.  Crazy, huh?  Check out BZ's laurel wreath.

The kids absolutely loved the Olympic feats they were asked to accomplish.  There was crab crawling and rock stacking (Bennett won!!) and "who could be the quietest for the longest" - my personal favorite event.  There were medals and an awards ceremony.

It was magical.

brett, making up olympic games for the kids

those cute lokeys

Like I said, fabulous trip.  Fabulous friends.  Good good times.  And next year will only be better because the kiddos will be a bit older and a bit easier.  

I'll drink to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment